Anorexia nervosa is a life-threatening eating disorder characterized by self-starvation and excessive weight loss. Learn about the symptoms, causes and treatment options available at SunCloud Health—one of the premier outpatient anorexia treatment centers in the Midwest.
Anorexia Nervosa: Did you know?
- At least 30 million people of all ages and gender suffer from an eating disorder in the U.S.
- 9% of American women suffer from anorexia in their lifetime.
- 1 in 5 anorexia deaths is by suicide.
- 13% of women over 50 engage in eating disorder behaviors.
- Genetics (roughly 50 to 80%), environmental factors and personality traits all combine to create risk for an eating disorder.
- About half of anorexia patients have comorbid anxiety disorders, including obsessive-compulsive disorder and social phobia.
Are you struggling with Anorexia? We can help.
Led by one of the nation’s most prominent psychiatrists treating eating disorders, substance abuse and trauma, Kimberly Dennis, MD, is a leader in the treatment for men and women struggling with anorexia, bulimia and other eating disorders.