Can Food Be Addictive? Relevance and Risks in Eating Disorder Treatment
Presented by: Dr. Ashley Gearhardt, PhD
November 17, 2023
This illuminating webinar delved deep into the intriguing questions underpinning food addiction, with an emphasis on its connection to eating disorders and its implications in treatment. Building on an extensive foundation of empirical literature, both from the presenter and other esteemed scholars, the session promises an engaging discussion that touches upon controversial standpoints, presenting a balanced view of the topic.
- Understanding Food Addiction through Empirical Evidence: Dive into the robust empirical data on assessing food addiction, with a spotlight on the renowned Yale Food Addiction Scale.
- Validity & Research Gaps: Unravel the efficacy of the Yale Food Addiction Scale and explore the existing gaps in the research that necessitate further investigation.
- Evidence-based Addiction Treatment Approaches: Grasp the nuances of applying proven addiction treatment methodologies within the realm of disordered eating.
- Clinical Implications: Discuss the broader clinical implications of viewing certain eating disorders through the lens of addiction.
- Assessment Tools for Health Care Integration: Receive insights into specific tools to evaluate highly processed food addiction, its clinical counterparts, and the ramifications of an addiction perspective in treatment.